Thomas Ducey (1822-1867) and John Ducey (1824-1878)
After Henry Lowndes died in 1842, family members carried on production until they sold it to Thomas and John Ducey in 1855. The Duceys had operated their own pottery elsewhere in Petersburg but moved to the Lowndes site shortly after their purchase. The Duceys continued to make stoneware in Petersburg until about 1872. We do not yet know the full range of their production. However, examples survive of their brushed cobalt decorated storage jars, which are often stamped with their mark. In 2008, archaeologists from The College of William and Mary’s Center for Archaeological Research conducted limited testing on a lot owned by the City of Petersburg to confirm the presence of kiln remains and wasters.