Moro Phillips (1812-1885)
In 1849, the Trees Point Pottery was established by Philadelphia chemical manufacturer Philip Charlotsky Moro or “Moro Phillips” on the banks of the James River. Moro’s choice to lead his new enterprise was potter Sanford Perry. With a small, enslaved workforce, Perry built and ran the factory, producing utilitarian stoneware running the gamut from common storage vessels to special chemical distilling apparatuses. This vessel is among the first to be attributed to this pottery.