Tours & Tickets
The Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts (MESDA) at Old Salem offers a variety of tours and ticket packages to meet the interests of our visitors.
MESDA has three self-guided galleries:
- The Carolyn and Mike McNamara Southern Masterworks Gallery
- The William C. and Susan S. Mariner Southern Ceramics Gallery
- The Dianne H. Furr Moravian Decorative Arts Gallery
These galleries tell the story of Salem and the South through the objects made and used by its diverse craftsmen. MESDA’s self-guided galleries are included as part of the Old Salem all-in-one ticket and two-stop tickets which can be purchased at any Old Salem Museums and Gardens retail location.
The museum also offers white-glove behind-the-scenes guided tours of MESDA’s study galleries. Tickets for these special tours can be purchased at the Frank L. Horton Museum Center. Reservations for tours, which do sell out, can be made in advance by calling 336-721-7369 during regular museum hours. In addition to cash, Old Salem Museums & Gardens accepts Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover credit cards.
MESDA Self-Guided Galleries Only
Leisurely explore MESDA’s three self-guided galleries: the Mike and Carolyn McNamara Southern Masterworks Gallery, the William C. and Susan S. Mariner Southern Ceramics Gallery, and the Dianne H. Furr Moravian Decorative Arts Gallery.
Adults & Students • $10
One-Hour Behind-the-Scenes Tours
We offer a variety of exclusive white-glove behind-the-scenes tours of the museum’s study galleries. Tours are offered Tuesday through Saturday at 11:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. or by advance appointment. On Sunday, guided tours of the study galleries are offered at 2:00 p.m. or by advance appointment by calling 336-721-7369.
Two-Hour Behind the Scenes Tours
An in-depth white-glove tour of MESDA’s thirty study galleries. This tour examines an even broader range of MESDA’s outstanding collection of early southern furniture, ceramics, silver, paintings, textiles, and other decorative arts, and can be tailored to your unique interests.
This tour is offered with an advance appointment during regular museum hours by calling 336-721-7369 at least one week in advance.
MESDA and Old Salem Museums & Gardens Ticket Packages
Explore the complete story of those who lived and worked in the early American South by visiting MESDA and touring the restored Moravian town of Salem. Founded in 1766, Salem’s historic buildings, award-winning heirloom gardens, and talented tradesmen provide a glimpse in to everyday life in one unique Piedmont North Carolina town.
The All-in-One Ticket: Good for TWO Days
The Old Salem All-In-One Ticket includes:
- Unlimited access to the new Carolyn and Mike McNamara Southern Masterworks Gallery, the William C. and Susan S. Mariner Southern Ceramics Gallery, and the Dianne H. Furr Moravian Decorative Arts Gallery.
- Two days to explore the entire Old Salem historic district with more than 90 buildings – over 25 of them interpreted & supported by a team of more than 170 staff.
- Fully immersive, hands-on demonstrations by tradespeople featuring historic craftsmanship.
- Daily discoveries throughout the interpreted buildings.
- Award-winning Single Brothers’ House Heirloom Gardens.
Adults • $27
Student • $13
Friends of MESDA, the Gardens, or Old Salem • FREE
Sunday All-in-One Ticket
Special reduced-price tickets for Sundays.
Adults • $22
Student • $11
For our visitors who are short on time, the Two-Stop ticket allows entrance to any two sites at Old Salem. For example, you could visit MESDA’s self-guided galleries and visit the Single Brothers’ House, the Tavern, or any other Old Salem exhibit building.
Adults • $18
Student • $9
How to Purchase Tickets
Tickets can be purchased at The Frank L. Horton Museum Center or online via the Old Salem website. Tickets are also available at the Old Salem Visitor Center, where we invite you to watch our brief introduction to the Moravian town of Salem and visit our shops and food service area. In addition to cash, Old Salem Museums & Gardens accepts Visa, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover credit cards.
- Group Rates: Tour with a group and save! We offer special pricing for adult tour groups and school groups. Visit our Group Tours pages for more information.
- Membership Discount: Friends of MESDA, Friends of the Gardens, and Friends of Old Salem enjoy FREE All-in-One tickets year-round! Visit our Membership page to join now on-line.
- Active & Retired Military Service Member* – $3 off Adult All-in-One admission (not applicable for the two-stop ticket or the already discounted Sunday ticket).
- Undergraduate Students with Valid College ID – admitted at discounted Student rate.
- Blue Star Museums program which admits active duty military service members and their families (up to 5 people Free) from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
MESDA and Old Salem offer a wide range of group tour options to fit your needs. To plan your group visit to MESDA and Old Salem call 336-721-7337 or visit our Group Tours pages.