Salem from the Southeast
In 1839, Daniel Welfare retired to this house built in 1816 by Dr. Frederick Shuman. This view shows what Welfare could see from the property. This is the approach to town that visitors coming from the south would have experienced. The church is the only discernable feature in the distant townscape in an otherwise quiet pastoral scene.