Dr. John Briscoe
Piedmont was surveyed in 1937 by the Historic American Buildings Survey:
Piedmont was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973:
ARTIST: John Drinker (1760-1826) was a miniaturist, portrait painter, and drawing master, who advertised in 1787 that he was opening a drawing school in Philadelphia with the assistance of Matthew Pratt. Using funds from an inheritance Drinker began investing in Berkeley County, Virginia, land in the 1780s. In 1797 he married Elizabeth Peppers in Berkeley County, West Virginia. Though the couple first lived in Philadelphia, by 1801 they had permanently resettled in Berkeley County. This painting is signed on the reverse “A.D. 1800/ by Drinker.”
RELATED WORKS: RELATED OBJECTS: The MESDA Collection includes five paintings from “Piedmont”, the house built between 1786-1890 for Dr. John Briscoe, Jr. (1752-1818), and Eleanor (Magruder) Briscoe (b.1766). These include portraits of Dr. and Mrs. Briscoe by John Drinker (1760-1826) (MESDA acc. 973.1-2); a portrait of Sarah D. Rutherford by Drinker (MESDA acc. 973.3); and a portrait of General William Darke (1736-1801), by Frederick Kemmelmeyer (1760-1821) (MESDA acc. 973.3).
FRAME: Reproduction frame based on an original frame on another Drinker painting.
REFERENCES: Kate Hughes, “Piedmont’s Portraits: Patrician Image-Making in the Lower Shenandoah Valley”, MESDA Summer Institute 2017.
DESCRIPTION: Portrait of man in brown coat and yellow vest with white stock. He has blue-gray eyes and dark hair. He is a half-length figure, facing half left, posed with hand in his vest. He stands in front of a column and what must be a balustraded porch with green trees and a greenish ground in the distance.