Flintlock rifle,.48 caliber brass-mounted rifle with 40-1/8″ octagonal barrel signed in script “J. Lauck” (for John Lauck, Winchester, Virginia, working 1810-1826), full curly maple stock, ornate brass patch box and trigger guard, concealed lid release in upper segment of hinge, finely carved pineapple with cross-hatching and scroll decoration, silver inlay with pineapple and acorn motifs, original surface, eight silver and brass eschuteons along forestock and four brass ramrod pipes. The lockplate is marked “McKim Brothers, Baltimore”. Having two chips on opposing sides of forestock, small chip at the corner of butt plate, patch box lid stuck.
MAKER: John Lauck (1790-1826) came from a prominent family of Frederick County, Virginia gunsmiths. His father Simon Lauck (1760-1815) and his younger brothers Jacob (1794-1875) and William Lauck (1796-1826) were also gunsmiths. In his will, John’s father left him a set of gunsmith’s tools and a brick house on Loudoun Street in Winchester. John Lauck’s 1826 probate inventory includes a long list of gunsmithing tools.