DESCRIPTION: Slab or marble top sideboard table; top is blue-grey shaded marble, with a shaped and molded edge; frame has cabriole legs, with knees decorated with a sheath-like carving and pad feet upon tapered underfeet.
ATTRIBUTION: The trumpet-shaped member under the rounded pad was found in an easy chair leg excavated at the Anthony Hay shop site. The front apron of this table has an incised cut reminiscent of the Chinese taste and is also seen on a tea table attributed to Williamsburg. The knee carving and flanking blocks are identical to two card tables related to the Hay shop. This table, an earlier example of these designs used in the Hay shop, is the only marble topped table known from that city. The grey marble is probably of Italian origin.
The table can be traced to Edmund Irby (1781-1829) of Nottoway County. Edmund’s probate inventory for Poplar Hill Plantation lists 49 slaves, livestock, and kitchen and household furniture, including “1 Marble Slab.” It is likely that the table had belonged to his grandfather, John Edmunds, one of the original burgesses from Sussex County, who represented the county in Williamsburg from 1755, at approximately the time the table was made, until his death. The table then went to Edmund’s son Richard (1825-1902), then to Miss Nellie Irby who gave it to her niece, Dorothy Fitzgerald Jordan, the last family owner.