DESCRIPTION: A cabinet style sideboard with splashboard, having end plinths with nailed molded cornices connected by a top beveled board which is tenoned and nailed into the plinths. The splashboard is joined to the top of the sideboard by large dowels which pass through the top. The top is pegged to the case. Front and back stiles, turned at the bottom to form feet, hold the paneled sides. There are two upper drawers, below which are two paneled-door cupboard sections with three tiers of drawers in the center. The drawers are joined by half-dovetails top and bottom with smaller dovetails between. The drawer bottoms are beveled, slipped into grooves in the drawer sides, and nailed across the back. A wide center drawer runner serves both upper drawers. Solid board dividers, separating the center drawers from the cupboard sections, tenon through the bottom of the case. The door rails tenon all the way through the door stiles. The case bottom is nailed flush with the sides, front and back. The horizontal backboards slip into grooves cut in the back stiles and are nailed to the vertical drawer and cupboard dividers. The brass hinges, some of the iron locks, and the escutcheons, one of which is upside down, are original. The walnut knobs also appear to be original.
This sideboard, along with a corner cupboard (acc. 5422), was part of the original furnishings of White Oak Plantation, built c. 1840 for the planter Augustus Dozier (1807-1902). Dozier’s grandfather migrated to Georgia from Virginia along the Great Wagon Road in the eighteenth century. Augustus was born in Columbia County, Georgia, but married and settled in nearby Oglethorpe County. Primarily a farmer, he was also a surveyor. By the Civil War Dozier owned 750 acres of land and eighteen slaves, placing him well within Georgia’s upper middling class.