DESCRIPTION: Side chair with a yoke crest carved with C-scrolls and anthemion with drop; splat pierced with four elongated lobes stopped with ribbon carving; H and back stretcher; squared seat rail; squared legs; back ones slightly canted and small chamfer on inside all four legs; upholstered slip seat.
CARVING: The carving on these chairs relates closely to that seen on the Fredericksburg master mason’s chair, which is documented in the lodge’s accounts to Scottish-born cabinetmaker Thomas Miller. The carved anthemia on the crest rails represent one of the earliest expressions of neoclassical design on southern furniture.
These chairs descended in the family of John Waller, who served as clerk of court for Spotsylvania County in the 1770s, and his wife, Judith Page. They were probably made around the time of their marriage on September 11, 1774, and descended to Miss Gabriella Page (1877-1949) of Richmond, a founder of the Association for the Preservation of Virginia Antiquities, now Preservation Virginia. Other chairs from this set are in the collections of Preservation Virginia and Colonial Williamsburg.