The following poem by Oliver Goldsmith (1730-1774) is inscribed:
“And what is friendship but a name
A charm that lulls to sleep
A shade that follows wealth or fame
And leaves the wretch to weep.”
The sampler features a two-story house with three bays, two chimneys and a transom over the front door.
The sampler is marked “Martha A. Viley/St. Catherine Sept. 1833”.
St. Catherine’s Academy was founded in Scott County, Kentucky in 1823 by Mother Catherine Spalding (1793-1858). Under Sister Ann Spalding’s guidance the school was transferred in 1833 to Lexington, Kentucky, about 16 miles away.