Plan Von Neu Ebenezer…
New Ebenezer was the second settlement by the Salzburgers in Georgia, an improvement over the “Old Ebenezer” first settled in 1734, 21 miles above Savannah. New Ebenezer was established in 1736 on a high ridge called “Red Bluff”. The settlement reached the height of its importance about 1744, and was noted for its silk culture. The town suffered during the Revolutionary War and began a steady decline early in the nineteenth century. Jerusalem Lutheran Church was founded in 1733 and the current church building was completed in 1769 in New Ebenezer. This church building survives and is still in use by the congregation, but there is no other remnant of the town that once stood at the now heavily wooded site.
DESCRIPTION: Map printed in ink on paper. Georgia Coast with inset of St. Simon’s and Jekyll Islands, English and German titles. Two other drawings on paper show plantation arrangement. Indian tribes, rivers, and islands are marked on the map.
REFERENCES: Cumming, Southeast in Early Maps #264-65
Deák, Picturing America 1497-1899… #95