Nathaniel Littleton Savage was the fifth-generation of the Savage Family to inhabit the land on which Cherry Grove was built. Called “Savage’s Neck”, the house stood along Cherrystone Creek on the Chesapeake Bay side of the Eastern Shore of Virginia. In about 1767 Savage sold the land to William Burton and moved to York County, Virginia. A cousin, Littleton Savage, married William Burton’s daughter, and the land returned to the Savage family on Burton’s death in 1770. The house was the center of a plantation of more than 1000 acres. William Burton’s 1770 probate inventory lists seventy-one slaves; his son-in-law Littleton Savage’s 1805 probate inventory lists seventy-nine.
The house was illustrated in-situ by Ralph T. Whitelaw in his 1951 “Virginia’s Eastern Shore” (vol. 1, pp.214-215) and surveyed by the Historic American Buildings Survey in 1960:
Abandoned following a hurricane in the 1930s, the architectural woodwork from its center hall, parlor, and an upstairs chamber were salvaged by MESDA in 1970. Archeological investigation of the site was also carried out at that time by Brad Rauschenberg. Archeological fragments recovered from the site, included imported ceramic sherds, are on view in the gallery today.