Parish Church of St. George
It was documented by the Historic American Buildings Survey in 1936:
It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1970: https://www.dhr.virginia.gov/registers/Counties/Accomack/001-0040_Saint_George%27s_Episcopal_Church_1970_Final_Nomination.pdf
ARTIST: James Wallis Eastburn (1797-1819) was the rector of St. George Parish in Accomack County, Virginia. He was born in London, but emigrated to New York with his family as a young child. Educated at Columbia College (later Columbia University) in New York, he took holy orders in 1818. He is best known as a poet and composer of hymns. This watercolor was used as the frontis for a volume of Eastburn’s poems.
REFERENCES: Ralph T. Whitelaw, “Virginia’s Eastern Shore: A History of Northampton and Accomack Counties” (Richmond, Virginia: Virginia Historical Society, 1951) 705-706.
DESCRIPTION: watercolor and ink sketch on paper depicting a brick church in the form of a Latin cross with a hipped gambrel roof; on left is a large tree; in the background is a landscape with trees and a fence.