Land Grant and Plat
Charleston South Carolina United States of America
ink on paper
10 1/8″ x 14 5/8″
This 1694 plat was drawn by Job Howes (d. 1705), one of the earliest surveyors of colonial South Carolina. In 1698, he was appointed Deputy Surveyor of the colony, and later served as the Surveyor General and Speaker of the Commons House of Assembly. The plat accompanies a land grant signed in 1696 by Governor John Archdale and other prominent South Carolinians granting 50 acres along Foster’s Creek, a branch of Goose Creek, to John Goodby, a middling planter who had arrived in South Carolina as an indentured servant in 1682. The plat retains its original wax and paper seal remnants in addition to the attached surveyor’s attestation and plat with an elegant yellow and green, hand-colored compass rose drawn by Howes in ink on vellum.
Gift of Thomas A. Gray