Collections › MESDA Collection › Jug

Jug

Place Made:
Liverpool Great Britain
Date Made:
1800-1810
Medium:
earthenware/creamware
Dimensions:
HOA: 11 1/2; WOA: 8 3/4; DOA: 6 1/2
Accession Number:
3909
Description:
Jug, creamware with five transfers, applied handle. Crack by handle and bottom, top is chipped, and bottom is worn. Transfers: a) oblisk with G. Washington, clouds and sun rays, weeping willows, weeping figure, pelican, and inscription; b) inscription with branches and flowers; c) bald eagle under thirteen stars holdinga branch, arrows, and paper with inscription; d) bald eagle on cannon with two figures holding flowers and one holding a torch too and an inscription; e) decroative circle with inscription. Transfer of flowers around top of jug. The name “Jonathan Marsh” in a cartouche under the spout.

DATE: The inclusion of Washington’s death date of December 14, 1799 proves that this jug was produced in 1800 or later, even though one flag depicted may date before 1796.

STYLE: This jug is one of several known examples made in Liverpool and inscribed specifically for North Carolinians. Some have a Washington, North Carolina, history, as well as Edenton and Shell Island.

History:
Jonathan Marsh (1760-1811) was originally from Rhode Island and made his living as a coastal trade merchant. He married Ann Bonner, granddaughter of Col. James Bonner who founded the town of Washington, North Carolina. They first leased, and then in 1802 purchased, a frame house in Bath, North Carolina, built by Michael Coutanche in 1744 and previously owned by William Palmer. Today, it is called the “Palmer-Marsh House” and operated as a museum by the North Carolina Department of Cultural Resources. Jonathan and his brother Daniel Marsh, a merchant in Washington, North Carolina, owned a ship which docked at “Marsh’s Wharf” in Bath and sailed from Bath and Washington to the West Indies.

Credit Line:
Gift of Mr. and Mrs. Samuel S. Short, Jr.