Collections › MESDA Collection › Jar

Jar

Artist/Maker:
Gardner, Lewis
Place Made:
Loudoun County Virginia United States of America
Date Made:
1820-1830
Medium:
stoneware –salt-glazed
Dimensions:
HOA: 13 1/4″; DIA of rim: 6 1/4″
Accession Number:
5848
Description:
Stamped “L.GARDNER, LOUN/ VA.”, this salt-glazed stoneware jar was made by potter Charles Lewis Gardner in Loudoun County, Virginia. It was thrown on a wheel and has a rolled rim and a neck that is narrower than the base. Two pulled or extruded handles were placed on opposite sides along the shoulder, creating lug handles. The terminals of the handles are brushed with cobalt blue slip. The number two is also stamped on the shoulder, designating the approximate capacity of two gallons. On one side is a floral decoration brushed in cobalt blue slip. On the opposite side is a swag and dotted pattern also executed with cobalt blue slip.

MAKER: Based on research done for a preliminary archaeological report, the principal potter at Sycolin Road was Charles Lewis Gardner, whose family operated potteries in Loudoun County for three generations from the early 1800s through the 1860s. MESDA has identified his father-in-law, Charles Dunkin (c.1746-1808) as one of the earliest Loudoun County potters. Lewis Gardner was listed in the 1810 and 1820 censuses for Waterford township in Loudoun County, and he was consistently identified as a manufacturer or tradesman. His brother-in-law, George Dunkin/Duncan (1788-1854), was listed as a potter in the 1850 census for Loudoun County, and his son, William H. Gardner (1814-1894), was listed as a potter there in 1860.

Bertsch, Ackman, Hyland, et.al., “‘Forgotten’: A Preliminary Report on the Sycolin Road Pottery,” Northern Virginia Community College, 2008.

Credit Line:
The William C. and Susan S. Mariner Collection