The chevron-like crossbar in the A is similar to an “AD” stamp used on pottery made by Anthony Duche, Andrew’s father, but also resembles other early European text and decorative arts. Though this jar was likely made in Savannah as Duche spent a longer period of time there, he has also been documented as making pottery in Charleston, South Carolina, between 1734 and 1735.
MAKER: Andrew Duche (1710-1778) was the son of a famous Philadelphia potter, Anthony Duche. Anthony (c. 1682 – 1762) had established a “Pott-House” on Chestnut Street in Philadelphia by 1725. Andrew Duche is the earliest documented potter south of Virginia. On April 5, 1735, he advertised in the South Carolina Gazette: “butter pots, milk-pans, and all other sorts of Earthen ware of this Country make… at much cheaper rate than can be imported.” Duché’s residence in Charleston was relatively brief, and in August 1736, he began renting a house in Savannah, Georgia. Duche arrived in Savannah, Georgia in 1736 and completed construction on his pottery business in 1738. Under the patronage of General James Edward Oglethorpe (1696-1785), Duché “completed his Pot Works in 1738.” Duché continued to produce utilitarian earthenware and stoneware at his Savannah manufactory, while simultaneously attempting to make porcelain. Through a mire of ill-fated ventures and financial difficulty, Duche likely continued his pottery business until 1743. William Ewen took over Duche’s Savannah pottery at least until 1755. Andrew Duche, after a move to Norfolk, Virginia, returned to Philadelphia in 1769.
Rauschenberg, Bradford L. “Andrew Duche: A Potter ‘a Little Too Much Addicted to Politicks’” MESDA Journal, Volume 17, no. 1, May 1991.