SCHOOL: This table is the product of a large school of cabinetmaking associated with Surry and Sussex counties on the south side of the James River. Characteristic of that area are the legs, which are shaped with a abrupt transition between the square upper leg stiles and the rounded portion below. Most straight legs with pad feet, a feature typical of the late baroque style, were lathe-turned, with the leg offset in the lathe to the straight portion, leaving a cove, shouldered, or ogee finish just below the stiles. (RAES) A related corner table in the collection of the Colonial Williamsburg Foundation has a “thumb-nail” molded top and a gate leg with a chamfered edge that passes under the frame like this piece.
FORM: Corner tables were “occasional” pieces used for light meals and possibly tea service. The term appears in contemporary sources. For example, the 1765 appraisal of the estate of Princess Anne County, Virginia, tavernkeeper Alexander Poole contains the entry “2 Walnut Corner Tables @ 15/.” (RAES)
WOODS: walnut with yellow pine inner frame and glue block.