INSCRIPTION: The body of the cann is elaborately engraved with a baroque cartouche and coat of arms representing the Hutchinson family. The arms feature a lion rampant surrounded by eight cross crosslets, and the Hutchinson family crest, a demi cockatrice with wings elevated. Attribution of the engraved armorial to Moreau Sarrazin is based on its similarity to the engraved arms on a coffeepot documented by MESDA (MESDA Object Database file NN-1390) and marked by Sarrazin and the silversmith Antoine Agerone. That coffeepot, in a private collection, was made in the 1730s for the Ball family.
MARK: Struck twice on body on either side of the handle (at top) with the mark “LSB” in a trifid form contained within a conforming reserve.
MAKER: Luke (Lucas) Stoutenburgh was born in New York City, the son of Tobias Stoutenburgh (1600-1716); his brother Tobias Jr.(1700-1759) was also a silversmith who worked in New York City. In 1703 Luke Stoughtenburgh apprenticed to London-born silversmith Bartholomew Le Roux (c.1663-1713), whose shop was located on the west side of Broadway at Beaver Lane. He married Helena Van Pelt (b.1695) about 1712 in New York. It is uncertain how long after 1712 Stoutenburgh moved to Charleston, South Carolina, but he is first recorded there in 1717 when he signed an appeal from residents of South Carolina to the King of England explaining when their troubles with Indians and asking for relief from high taxes. A deed identifies him as a silversmith in 1727. His son Luke Jr. succeeded him in the silversmithing business. E. Milby Burton, “South Carolina Silversmiths 1690-1860” (Charleston, SC: Charleston Museum, 1967) and entry for Lucas Stoutenburg on www.925-1000.com (online: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~silversmiths/makers/silversmiths/67115.htm [accessed 26 May 2017]).
ENGRAVER: Moreau Sarrazin was born about 1710 in Boston, Massachusetts and on 31 August 1730 married Elizabeth Dowse (b.1710-1754) in that city. He was working in Charleston, South Carolina, by 1734 when he was identified as a jeweler on Broad Street. He was regularly identified as a jeweler, silversmith, or goldsmith in documents throughout the 1730s, 40s, and 50s. In 1743 he engraved a map of the harbor at St. Augustine and adjacent parts of Florida. He partnered with his son, Jonathan Sarrazin (w.1754-1790), and the firm advertised imported silver wares and jewelery in 1755 and 1759. See entry for Mareau Sarrazin on www.925-1000.com (online: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~silversmiths/makers/silversmiths/109954.html [accessed 29 May 2017]).
FORM: A “cann” is an eighteenth-century term for a handled drinking vessel that is larger than a cup and features a tulip-shaped body and circular foot. The form is similar in size to a mug, but mugs have straight-sided bodies rather than the tulip shape of a cann. Tankards are differentiated from canns as tankards have lids. The term “cann” lost popularity toward the end of the eighteenth century as handled drinking vessels larger than a cup became called “mugs” regardless of the shape of their bodies.