This appears to be the candlestand that belonged to the Reverend John Coe (1779-1852) of Guilford County, North Carolina. At his estate sale, Dorcas (Pearson) Coe, his widow, purchased “1 Candlestand and lot Books” for 50 cents. Born in Worcester County, Maryland, Coe migrated as a young child with his family in the 1780s to southern Guilford County. He became a Methodist minister and, in 1813, founded the Mt. Moriah Methodist Chruch, where he was buried, approximately four miles south of Greensboro.
RELATED OBJECTS: The candlestand came into the MESDA Collection with a group of objects that descended in the Wood, Coe, McCulloch, and Coble families, including a quilt made by the Reverend Coe’s daugher-in-law Martitia (Wood) Coe, a quilt made by her sister Jane Wood and a sulfur inlaid table with the initials “JW” for Jane Wood, and a portrait of their brother Dr. Lorenzo Dow Wood, (MESDA Acc. # 5939.2,5,6,7).