As noted in Jeffrey S. Evans and Scott Hamilton Suter’s exhibition catalog, “A Great Deal of Stone and Earthen Ware,” this brass stencil was used to decorate the face of only a few surviving intact pieces made by Emanuel Suter. The authors also note that Emanuel Suter and John D. Heatwole were the only Shenandoah Valley potters known to employ the use of a stencil on their pieces. The stencil is made from a thin piece of brass with “Emanuel Suter” cut in printed letters in the center, surrounded by a pierced wreath of small teardrop shapes, and with a punctuated line beneath Suter’s name.
MAKER: Emanuel Suter (1833-1902) was one of Rockingham County’s most prominent potters in the second half of the nineteenth-century. In 1855 his shop was located in West Rockingham, but he may have been working as early as 1851 with John D. Heatwole. A practicing Mennonite, Suter was a prolific and innovative potter.
Evans, Jeffrey S. and Scott Hamilton Suter, “A Great Deal of Stone & Earthen Ware.” Dayton, VA: Harrisonburg-Rockingham Historical Society, 2004.