A Map of the County of Savannah
T.F.L. __Engraver ||Oglethorpe, James Edward __After
ink on paper
HOA: 15; WOA; 14 1/4 (sight)
James Edward Oglethorpe (1696-1785) was eager to attract German-speaking protestants to the Georgia Colony. In 1735 Oglethorpe sent the manuscript map on which this map is based to London. Unlike the better known perspective view of Savannah, this map depicts both the familiar town plan and the farm lots outside of town. It also depicts other nearby settlements, forts, roads, and outposts.
REFERENCES: Cumming, The Southeast in Early Maps, 246.
This map was originally published in Samuel Urlsperger’s Der Ausfuhrliche Nachrichten.., Halle, 1735.
MESDA Purchase Fund